Oven-Roasted Pulled Pork
Everyone needs a good pulled-pork recipe, and this, my friends, is the BEST. Insanely tender and loaded with barbecue flavour, you'lldream about it (sandwiched between a soft potato bun) often. And that's okay,considering how easy it is to make.
- 2 kg boneless pork shoulder
- 3 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 0.5 lt lager
FOR THE BARBECUE SAUCE + SANDWICHES
- 1 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Buns for serving
- Make pork: Preheat oven to 300°. Trim excess fat from pork and cut into large pieces to fit in a large Dutch oven.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and cumin, then season with black pepper. Rub all over pork. (This can be done the night before.)
- In a large Dutch oven over medium high heat, heat oil.Working in batches, add pork and sear on all sides. (Spices can burn quickly so don’t let it go for too long!)
- Pour beer around pork and cover with lid. Transfer to oven and cook until pork is beginning to turn tender, about 3 hours. Remove lid and cook until pork is very tender and pulls apart easily with a fork, 1 to 2 hours more.
- Remove pork from Dutch oven and let rest while you prepare barbecue sauce.
- Make barbecue sauce: To the pan drippings in the Dutch oven,whisk in ketchup, apple cider vinegar, mustard, brown sugar and Worcestershire.Over medium-high heat, bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until thickened slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Shred pork using two forks. Toss shredded meat with about half the barbecue sauce.
- Serve warm with buns and more barbecue sauce.